Monday, August 14, 2023

Haunted Night Shift

 Once, I was assigned as a security guard at a guest house in Hacienda Candaguit, Pontevedra, Negros Occidental, owned by my employer, late Mr. Eduardo Cojuanco Jr., former ambassador to Washington D.C. USA. My duty was the nightshift, starting at six in the evening and lasting until six in the morning. The guest house was a well-maintained structure, surrounded by old mango trees, and had been built during the Spanish era.


Rumors had circulated among the locals that the house was haunted. On one particular night, I found myself alone, and after turning on all the electric lights in the house, I stationed myself at the guard post.


At around nine o'clock, the full moon emerged and cast intriguing shadows of the old mango trees. The atmosphere took on an eerie quality, and though I felt uneasy, I tried my best to dispel my fear.


Suddenly, I heard moaning sounds coming from inside the house, as if they were the cries of a restless soul, followed by what seemed like footsteps. My sense of duty compelled me to investigate.


I cautiously ascended the stairs and, to my relief, discovered that the supposed footsteps were merely the gentle sound of the wind brushing against the interior of the house. The haunting moans, on the other hand, were produced by a night pigeon that had found its way into the ceiling.


In the end, what appeared to be a haunted encounter turned out to have a logical and harmless explanation, putting my fears to rest. Despite the initial unease, I continued my night shift, patrolling the guest house and ensuring its security until the morning sun rose.





No comments:

Post a Comment

The Perils of Pro-American and Pro-Chinese Sentiments in Philippine Social Media

  In the age of digital connectivity, social media has become a powerful platform that shapes public opinion and political discourse in unpr...